Devanahalli Fort was built during the time of Vijayanagra rule in the Karnataka region. It was initially constructed in 1501 AD by Malla Baire, who was the chieftain of the empire under the approval of King Devaraya at Devanahalli which was then called Devanadoddi.
In the years following the fall of Vijayanagara empire, the fort passed hands of various other rulers and dynasties in India, and subsequently came under the control of the Lord Cornwallis during the time of the Mysore War in the region.
The fort is now controlled and maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Devanahalli Fort is spread over an area of over 20 acres. The building is roughly oval in shape, with 12 semi-circular bastions with gun points (built in lime and rick), and multiple entrances that are decorated with cut plasterwork at the east and west.
It also consists of a spacious battlement in the interior along with a house that used to be occupied by an official of the court.
Devanahalli Fort is open to visitors at all times, that is, 24 hours, on all days of the week. The entry to this fort is free; visitors are not charged any entry fee here.
Devanahalli is close to Bengaluru city which is well connected to cities across India as well as other parts of the world. The city can be reached by air, rail or road.
Boasting of magnificent architecture, archaeological importance, and historical significance, Devnahalli Fort has many stories to tell including the many battles fought and the birthplace and residence of Tipu Sultan. This stone and mortar structure was built in 1501 by Mallebyre Gowda of the Saluva Dynasty and houses several temples of religious significance inside its premises. Currently in dilapidated state, Devnahalli Fort still grabs many eyeballs and retains the glory of the yesteryears.