Madhya Pradesh has many historical gems to see. Some popular sites of historical significance in the state are –
- Khajuraho – Known for its ancient temples with stone carvings, sculptures, and fine art specimens; a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Gwalior – A city with a rich heritage, and historical monuments and places.
- Orchcha – A city on the banks of a river called “Betwa” – having a unique medieval charm and a rich heritage.
- Sanchi Stupa – A spiritual retreat, built hundreds of years ago. Another UNESCO world heritage site.
- Taj-Ul-Masajid in Bhopal (the name means “crown-among-mosques”; a mosque which is a specimen of ancient Mughal architecture).
- Bhimbetka Rock shelters – A group of 700 rock shelters and caves, some of which are believed to be more than 100000 years old. Located in Amchha Khurd, Raisen, around 200 of these caves have almost 30,000-year-old paintings that show the facets of human life in those times.
- Ujjain - A city situated on the banks of Shipra River, having numerous ancient temples (including the well-known Mahakaleshwar temple).