Meerut, located about 70 kilometers northeast of New Delhi, is one of the largest cities in Uttar Pradesh state and serves as an important center for commerce, industry, and education. Its history goes back to the ancient Indus Valley Civilization and it has been ruled by various empires and kingdoms, including the Mauryas, Guptas, Mughals, and British.
The city is famous for its manufacturing industries, particularly in sports goods, which are among the biggest in India. It is also a central hub for the production of scissors, musical instruments, and handloom products. Meerut has several educational institutions, including universities, engineering colleges, and management institutes.
Furthermore, Meerut is a significant religious center and has numerous temples, mosques, and churches. Visitors can enjoy attractions like the Augharnath Temple, Jama Masjid, St. John's Church, and Gandhi Bagh. Additionally, the city has numerous shopping centers, markets, and eateries, making it a popular spot for both tourists and shoppers.
Places to Visit / Tourist places
- Augharnath Temple – Located in the heart of Meerut, this is an ancient Hindu temple that venerates Lord Shiva. It is believed to date back to the Mahabharata era and attracts many devotees of Lord Shiva as a pilgrimage site.
- Shapir – A picturesque picnic spot situated close to Meerut, surrounded by lush green forests and hills. It is a popular destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts who can engage in activities like trekking and camping.
- Draupadi-ki-Rasoi – A popular tourist attraction in Meerut is believed to be the kitchen where Draupadi, the wife of the Pandavas, cooked meals during the Mahabharata era. It is now preserved as a museum that displays the cooking utensils and tools used during that period.
- Hastinapur – An ancient city near Meerut that was once the capital of the Kuru Kingdom during the Mahabharata era. It houses several ancient temples and monuments and is a must-visit for those interested in history and mythology.
- St John's Church Meerut – One of the oldest churches in North India, built by the British in the early 19th century. The church's intricate carvings and stained glass windows are famous for their beautiful architecture.
- Shaheed Smarak – A memorial was built in honor of Indian soldiers who fought in various wars and conflicts. It showcases statues and exhibits that commemorate the bravery and sacrifices of the soldiers.
- Jama Masjid – A stunning mosque built by the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in the 17th century. Its walls and ceilings are adorned with intricate carvings and designs, making it a significant attraction in Meerut.
- Bhole ki Jhaal – A popular street food destination in Meerut famous for its spicy and flavorful chaat and snacks.
- Vidur Ka Tila – An ancient site in Meerut is believed to be the place where Vidur, a character from the Mahabharata, lived. It features several ancient ruins and monuments and is a popular destination for history enthusiasts.
- Digambar Jain Temple – A stunning Jain temple in Meerut, known for its intricate carvings and architecture. It attracts many Jain pilgrims seeking blessings and solace.
- Mustafa Castle – A historic building in Meerut was built during the British era. It has been converted into a hotel and is a popular destination for a luxurious stay experience.
- Fantasy World Water Park – This water park situated on the Delhi-Meerut Road is a well-liked tourist attraction in Meerut. It offers a range of water-based activities such as water slides, wave pools, and other fun attractions, making it a great spot for families and friends to have a refreshing time during the hot weather.
- Roadside Chess – In Meerut, chess enthusiasts can have a unique experience by playing chess on the streets. The city is well-known for its roadside chess culture where players gather in public places to play chess together. It's an excellent way to engage with locals and gain insight into the city's culture.
- Appu Ghar – Appu Ghar is an amusement park situated in Meerut, presenting a wide variety of rides and attractions suitable for all ages. From thrilling roller coasters to family-friendly rides and games, Appu Ghar has something for everyone to enjoy.
- Qawalli in Meerut – Qawalli, a devotional music form well-liked in North India, is a part of Meerut's vibrant cultural scene. Tourists can attend Qawalli performances at various venues in the city, including mosques and other religious sites. It's an excellent way to experience the local culture and connect with the community.
- Golgappa – Also known as pani puri or phuchka in other parts of India, is a beloved street food in Meerut. It is made by filling crispy, hollow puris with a spicy mixture of potato and chickpeas, and then dipping them in tangy tamarind water.
- Wheatgrass juice – A refreshing and nutritious beverage that is popular among health-conscious individuals in Meerut. The juice is made from fresh wheatgrass, which is known for its high nutritional content, and is often served with lemon and ginger.
- Dosa – Dosa is a crispy, thin pancake made from fermented rice and lentil batter that is popular all over India, including Meerut. It is often filled with potatoes, cheese, or vegetables and served with sambar and coconut chutney.
- Hariya ji ki lassi – Lassi is a famous variety of traditional Indian yogurt-based drink called lassi and is a must-try for visitors to Meerut. It is made with thick yogurt, and sugar, and flavored with cardamom.
- Tikki – Tikki is a popular snack in Meerut that consists of crispy potato patties that are usually served with a variety of chutneys and toppings such as yogurt, tamarind, and mint chutneys.
- Pakodi – Pakodi is a fried snack made from gram flour batter that is often served with tamarind or mint chutney and can be found in most street food markets in Meerut.
- Kulcha – Kulcha is a type of flatbread that is popular in North India, including Meerut. It is cooked in a tandoor oven until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and is usually served with chole and pickles.
- Bravura Gold Resort – This is a luxurious resort situated along the Delhi-Meerut Highway, which provides ample space and lavish accommodations equipped with modern amenities. Alongside its amenities, it also features various dining options, a spa, a fitness center, a swimming pool, and other recreational facilities.
- Hotel Godwin Meerut – This hotel is conveniently located in the center of Meerut, offering affordable yet comfortable lodging options. It has well-furnished rooms with modern amenities, an on-site restaurant, and a conference hall, making it ideal for both leisure and business travelers.
- Hotel Naveen – Located close to the city center, this hotel provides budget-friendly and cozy rooms, making it an ideal accommodation option for budget-conscious travelers. It also features well-equipped rooms with modern amenities, an on-site restaurant, and free parking for guests.
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson Meerut – Situated along NH-58, this hotel offers modern rooms and suites equipped with a range of amenities. It has a restaurant, fitness center, swimming pool, and business center, making it ideal for both leisure and business travelers.
- Hotel Crystal Palace – Located in the heart of the city, this hotel offers comfortable and budget-friendly lodging options. It has well-appointed rooms with modern amenities, an on-site restaurant, and a conference hall, making it suitable for both leisure and business travelers.
- Hotel Broadway Inn – This hotel is conveniently situated near the city center and offers budget-friendly rooms with modern amenities. It features an on-site restaurant and a conference hall suitable for business meetings and events.
- Collection O 69818 Hotel Ambition – This hotel is located in the city center and offers comfortable lodging options at a reasonable price. It has well-furnished rooms with modern amenities, an on-site restaurant, and a conference hall, making it a good option for both leisure and business travelers.
- Hotel Harmony Inn – Situated close to the city center, this hotel offers budget-friendly rooms with modern amenities. It has well-furnished rooms, an on-site restaurant, and free parking for guests.
- Capital O 77560 Oak Tree By Golden Plate – This hotel is situated along NH-58 and provides modern rooms and suites equipped with various amenities, including a restaurant, fitness center, swimming pool, and business center, making it suitable for both leisure and business travelers.
- Hotel Naveen Deluxe – Located in the city center, this hotel offers affordable and comfortable lodging options. It has well-appointed rooms with modern amenities, an on-site restaurant, and a conference hall for business meetings and events.
- The Great Tandoori Island – The Great Tandoori Island is a restaurant that focuses on North Indian and Mughlai food, particularly tandoori dishes. It has a comfortable atmosphere and offers both indoor and outdoor seating options.
- Marwari Bhoj – Marwari Bhoj is a restaurant that's popular for its authentic Rajasthani cuisine and vegetarian dishes. It has a traditional and unpretentious vibe that's suitable for families and small groups.
- The Yellow Chilli – The Yellow Chilli is a restaurant that belongs to the well-known chain by celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor. It features a blend of Indian and international cuisine with a contemporary twist. The ambiance is sophisticated and modern.
- Bamboo's Cafe and Restaurant – Bamboo's Cafe and Restaurant offers a range of dishes from Chinese, Indian, and Italian cuisine. It has a cozy atmosphere and is recognized for its live music performances during weekends.
- Chula Chowka Restaurant – Chula Chowka Restaurant specializes in North Indian and Mughlai cuisine, with kebabs and biryanis as their signature dishes. It offers a straightforward and traditional atmosphere with both indoor and outdoor seating options.
- Olivia – Olivia offers a mix of Chinese, Indian, and Continental cuisine. It has an upscale and modern ambiance that's fitting for small groups and families.
- Tandoori Club Restaurant – Tandoori Club Restaurant specialty is North Indian and Mughlai food, particularly tandoori dishes. It provides a simple and conventional setting that offers both indoor and outdoor seating options.
- Evergreen Family Restaurant – Evergreen Family Restaurant serves a range of dishes from Chinese, Indian, and Continental cuisine. It has a cozy and informal atmosphere that's perfect for families and small groups.
- Barbeque Nation – Barbeque Nation is part of a famous chain known for its live grills and barbeque buffet. It offers a mix of Indian and international cuisine with an interactive and lively atmosphere.
- Rajbhog Restaurant – Rajbhog Restaurant specializes in vegetarian North Indian cuisine, particularly thalis, and chaats. It has a conventional and straightforward setting that's fitting for families and small groups.
- Shopprix Mall – Positioned on the Delhi-Meerut Highway, Shopprix Mall is a well-known shopping, dining, and entertainment hub. It comprises various stores that offer fashion and lifestyle items, electronics, and home decor. Additionally, the mall boasts a food court, multiplex cinema, and restaurants.
- City Square Mall (Melange Mall) – This mall, situated in the center of Meerut, is a trendy shopping destination. It offers a combination of local and international brands, a supermarket, restaurants, and a food court. Moreover, City Square Mall features a multiplex cinema for entertainment purposes.
- PVS Mall – PVS Mall is a vast shopping and entertainment center in Meerut. It offers a diverse range of retail outlets that include fashion and lifestyle brands, electronics, and home decor. The mall also has a gaming zone, food court, and a multiplex cinema for entertainment.
- S2S Square Centre – S2S Square Centre is a well-liked shopping and entertainment hub located on Garh Road in Meerut. It comprises various stores, restaurants, and a food court. The mall also has a multiplex cinema, gaming zone, and bowling alley to provide entertainment options.
Best places to shop
- Sadar Bazaar – Sadar Bazaar is a bustling market in Meerut that is renowned for its diverse range of products at reasonable prices. Visitors can shop for a wide variety of items, including clothing, accessories, electronics, and home decor, and experience the charm of traditional shopping.
- Begumpet – Begumpet is a popular shopping district in Meerut that is famous for its trendy fashion boutiques, shoe stores, and jewelry shops. It is an ideal location for fashion enthusiasts who want to keep up with the latest fashion trends and designer wear.
- The Cantonment area – The Cantonment area is an excellent location to shop for antiques and vintage items, and it is known for its specialty shops selling antique furniture, paintings, and decorative items. Exploring the Cantonment area is a must for those interested in history and heritage.
- Abu Lane – Abu Lane is a famous shopping street in Meerut that is famous for its clothing, footwear, and accessory stores. It also features several shops selling handicrafts and souvenirs, making it an excellent place to buy unique and authentic souvenirs.
- Rohtash Halwai – A renowned sweet shop in Meerut, Rohtash Halwai is famous for its mouth-watering Indian sweets like pedas, laddoos, and barfis, in addition to a variety of snacks and namkeens.
- Mithaas Meerut – Known for its quality and hygiene, Mithaas Meerut is a popular chain of sweet shops in Meerut offering a diverse range of traditional Indian sweets and snacks.
- Basant Rewri Bhandar – Basant Rewri Bhandar is a famous sweet shop in Meerut offering delicious rewri, gajak, and chikki, all of which are traditional Indian sweets made with sesame seeds and jaggery.
- Abu Plaza – Abu Plaza is a well-known shopping complex in Meerut, housing various retail stores including clothing, electronics, and jewelry, as well as a food court and cinema.
- Standard Sweets – Standard Sweets is a reputed sweet shop in Meerut offering an extensive range of Indian sweets and snacks with a focus on quality and hygiene.
- Nayyar Sons – Nayyar Sons is a popular shop in Meerut that sells a wide range of products, including clothing, accessories, and home decor, all of which are known for their high quality and affordability.
- Samrat Sweets & Fast Food – A popular eatery in Meerut, Samrat Sweets & Fast Food serves a variety of Indian snacks and fast food items such as chaat, samosas, and burgers.
- Vidyarthi Khadi Bhandar – Vidyarthi Khadi Bhandar is a prominent shop in Meerut that sells hand-spun and hand-woven khadi products such as clothing, home decor, and accessories, with a focus on promoting eco-friendly and sustainable products.
- Avon Bakers & Gifting Studio – Avon Bakers & Gifting Studio is a famous bakery in Meerut that offers a range of cakes, pastries, and desserts, as well as customized gifting options for special occasions.
Museum in Meerut
- Government Freedom Struggle Museum – The Meerut-based Government Freedom Struggle Museum is devoted to exhibiting the legacy and articles of India's fight for freedom. The museum showcases Meerut's part in the independence movement, with exhibits highlighting the efforts of numerous freedom fighters, significant events that happened in the region, and the contributions of individuals. The museum houses an assortment of items such as photographs, letters, documents, and other items related to the freedom movement. Visitors can gain insight into the country's freedom struggle and the sacrifices of those who fought for India's independence.
Gardens and Parks
- Gandhi Bagh – Gandhi Bagh is a well-known garden situated in the center of Meerut, named after Mahatma Gandhi and spanning an area of approximately 33 acres. It is adorned with diverse flora, including trees, plants, and flowers, and boasts a small pond and a musical fountain. It is a famous spot for picnics and leisurely strolls.
- Surajkund Park – Suraj Kund Park is a vast park located in the northern part of Meerut, covering an area of about 8 acres and named after the ancient Surajkund Lake. It is equipped with a jogging track, a children's play area, and a small pond, making it a favored spot for morning walks and exercise.
Best time to visit
To have the most enjoyable experience, it is recommended to visit Meerut between October and March which is the winter season, as the temperature ranges from 10°C to 25°C, providing pleasant weather for outdoor activities, sightseeing and exploring the city's cultural heritage. On the other hand, summers (April to June) are hot and humid with temperatures ranging from 25°C to 45°C, and the monsoon season (July to September) brings heavy rainfall and occasional flooding, so it's better to avoid visiting Meerut during these months.
How To Reach
- By Air :
The closest airport to Meerut is Indira Gandhi International Airport, located approximately 70 kilometers away in Delhi. To get to Meerut from there, you can opt for a taxi or a bus.
- By Bus:
There are regular state-run and private buses connecting Meerut with major cities in Uttar Pradesh and Delhi. If you're traveling from nearby cities such as Delhi, Agra, or Haridwar, you can board a bus to Meerut.
- By Train :
Meerut is well-connected to major Indian cities via trains. There are two railway stations in the city - Meerut City Junction and Meerut Cantt Junction. These stations receive trains from various cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, and Kolkata.